
Josh is much more alert today. At first he seemed perplexed by all that's happened while he was sleeping.

Then he realized that he was really hungry. Unfortunately the pacifier isn't producing much but it's not for a lack of trying.

Finally after some food into his nose tube, he decided he'd be the happy baby he always is.

He did have a few episodes of heart arrhythmias last night. When he's relaxed his pulse gets quite low (sometimes into the 40s) and he had a few spontaneous episodes of supraventricular tachycardia with rates up to 250. To me these seem worrisome but the cardiologists aren't concerned since either type of episode resolves spontaneously and his blood pressure and oxygen numbers all stay well within range. In my little old ladies either one of these would be a big problem but evidently they are quite common in infants especially after surgery. Again, its the problem of knowing just enough to be dangerous. I'm trying to remember there are reasons for all of the medical subspecialties and trust what they're telling us.
In other medical updates, his E coli from the lungs was resistant to the antibiotic he was on so he was switched to some Bactrim today. They've also changed the diruetics from the constant drip to every 8 hours. And since he's on only 2 liters of oxygen they've been able to remove the arterial line from his groin. So out of the 8 tubes he started with only 3 are left. They're forcasting at least a few more days of watching his heart rhythms, continued antibiotics and a repeat heart ultrasound to keep him occupied for the next few days. If all goes perfectly we could be out of here as early as Saturday afternoon but it's more likely to happen Sunday or Monday.
Scott and I are heading to his hometown tonight for a quick 12 hour trip so we can be at his dad's funeral tomorrow morning. So Josh and his Aunty Em will snuggle without us. We're so, so very grateful that she was able to come.
I'm so glad to hear that Josh is continuing to improve -- he's such a beautiful, smiley baby! I'm also so sorry to hear about Scott losing his father. How hard for you all to go through anything else right now.
ReplyDeleteI've tried to come visit you all several times, but I've actually been happy when it's been late and you haven't been there, since I'm hoping you're sleeping! Please let me know if there's anything I can do. I'm thinking of you, Scott, and Josh all the time.